Alabama Aviation History Traveling Exhibit
AHF is partnering with the Alabama Bicentennial Commission, Airbus, and the Alabama Community College System (ACCS) on “Alabama’s Aviation History,” a traveling exhibition created to help commemorate the state’s 200th birthday.
FLY,** a play about the Tuskegee Airmen. From there, it went on a state tour.
Sponsored by Airbus, the exhibition showcases Alabama’s long and significant history in aviation, aeronautics and aerospace innovation and achievement. Its earliest beginnings predate the famous Wright Brothers’ first civilian flying school, established in Montgomery in 1910, and its history embraces both world wars, as well as a pivotal ongoing role in space research and exploration. Michelle Hurdle of Airbus notes that the exhibition celebrates a history that helped bring Airbus to Alabama. “Airbus found a real home in Alabama where innovation and excellence are traditions. The exhibition will help tell that story to people all over the state.”
ACCS provides some of the most extensive and up-to-date training and education in aviation and related fields. According to Michael McDaniel, director of ACCS aviation programs, “not only will the exhibition tell a fascinating story about what Alabama has done in the past, but we hope it will inspire young people to pursue careers in the aviation and aeronautics workforce.”
ALABAMA 200 is designed to support, create and execute events and activities between 2017 and 2019 that commemorate the people and places of Alabama, as well as its path to statehood. In schools and communities across the state, bicentennial events and activities will teach, inspire and entertain residents and visitors of all backgrounds. For more information on ALABAMA 200 and other bicentennial projects and events, visit www.ALABAMA200.org.
To inquire about the exhibit schedule or venues, contact Laura Anderson, AHF Director of Operations, at 205-558-3992 or email email@example.com.
Exhibit tour schedule:
• Alabama Shakespeare Festival, February, 2018
• Alabama State Capitol, Old Supreme Court Library, March 5 – 19, 2018
• Southern Museum of Flight, Birmingham, March 23 – July 11, 2018
• Smith Building Art Gallery, Marion, May 8 – August 31 – BY APPOINTMENT. Contact: Susan Passmore 404-245-7576
• Limestone County Event Center, Athens, July 16 – 27, 2018 -Contact: Rebekah Davis 256-233-1773
• Cullman Regional Airport, Cullman, August 3 – 17, 2018 -Contact: Ben Harrison 256-531-6666
• Boaz Public Library, Boaz, August 24 – September 6, 2018 -Contact: Lynn Burgess 256-593-3000
• Mobile Regional Airport – September 12, 2018 through January 5, 2019
To learn more, go to www.asf.net or visit the ASF Box Office and the aviation history exhibit in person at One Festival Drive, Montgomery, Alabama.